Town of Huachuca City
DECLARATION OF EMERGENCY
A PROCLAMATION OF THE MAYOR OF THE TOWN OF HUACHUCA CITY, COCHISE COUNTY, ARIZONA, DECLARING THAT A LOCAL EMERGENCY EXISTS AND AUTHORIZING CERTAIN PRECAUTIONS FOR THE HEALTH AND WELFARE OF THE TOWN AND ITS RESIDENTS.
WHEREAS, the Mayor of the Town of Huachuca City is authorized under the current circumstances by Town Code section 2.10.040 (F); A.R.S. §26-307; and 26-311 to proclaim that a local emergency exists and, thereafter, to impose all necessary regulations to preserve the peace, health and order of the Town; and
WHEREAS, on March 11, 2020, the Governor of the State of Arizona, Douglas A. Ducey, determined that the COVID-19 outbreak presents conditions in Arizona that justified his declaration of a State of Emergency; and
WHEREAS, on March 13, 2020, the President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump, found and proclaimed that the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States constituted a national emergency; and
WHEREAS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – in an effort to control the COVID-19 outbreak – are currently recommending social distancing, the cancellation of non-essential large gatherings of more than 50 people, and that individuals older than 60 years of age and those with chronic medical conditions should not attend gatherings of more than 10 people; and
WHEREAS, to take proactive preventative measures in the interests of public health as encouraged by the Governor, the Town of Huachuca City will need assistance to operate services while taking measures to protect its workforce and protect the public health to prevent unnecessary transmission of the disease.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Johann R. Wallace, Mayor of the Town of Huachuca City, Arizona, by the authority vested in me by the laws recited above and by this Proclamation do:
- determine and deem that an emergency exists due to the COVID-19 pandemic which presents conditions which are likely to be beyond the control of the services, personnel equipment and facilities of the Town of Huachuca City; and
- declare a State of Emergency exists in the Town of Huachuca City effective this date; and
- request assistance from the County of Cochise, the State of Arizona and the Federal Government of the United States of America; and
- order and direct that public access to all town buildings and facilities be closed, to include but not be limited to, Town Hall, Library, Senior Center and the Community Center in the interest of preserving the public health and preventing the spread of the disease; and
- order and direct that all town-scheduled activities creating a gathering of people of the town shall be cancelled and that the rental of town facilities to private parties for events shall be cancelled and fees refunded; and
- order, direct and authorize the Town Manager to implement any procedures and take any actions he deems necessary to carry out the intent of this Declaration.
The Mayor and Council will continue at this time to govern the Town of Huachuca City, but its meetings will be procedurally modified as follows until the emergency declared herein abates and this declaration is withdrawn, or a subsequent Proclamation is issued with amendments:
- Public Meetings of the Mayor and Council will be conducted remotely from the Town’s Library;
- Calls to the Public will be temporarily halted, but members of the public can submit written comments to the office of the town clerk 24 hours in advance; and
- Consistent with the state’s open meeting laws, notices will be provided to the public via the Town’s website as to the date and time of all meetings and how to view them remotely.
This Declaration and Order shall remain in full force and effect until amended or terminated by further order of the Mayor or Town Council.
ORDERED by the Mayor of the Town of Huachuca City, Cochise County, Arizona, this 19th day of March, 2020 at 8:07 PM.